Families currently enrolled at AHS Online receive priority for additional students. New students are accepted based on the following criteria:
- Space availability in a class (see policy regarding waiting lists below).
- Strength of interview with school administration.
- Academic standing (see policy regarding academic standing below).
AHS Online accepts up to 24 students per class. When a class is full, a waiting list will be created. Students who would otherwise be admitted if a seat were available will be added to the waiting list for that class. Students are not drawn from a waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis. Instead, when a seat opens in a class, the Admissions Committee chooses the applicant (parents and child considered together) whom they believe best fulfills the admission criteria according to the AHS Online Mission Statement. All waiting lists expire at the end of each academic year and are re-established as needed during the annual application process.
Before enrollment, the Admissions Committee reviews the academic standing of a student to avoid putting a child in a class for which they are unprepared. AHS Online does not have sufficient resources to offer specialized academic assistance for students functioning significantly below grade level.
All students are expected to abide by the school’s Honor Code and are expected to conduct themselves in all aspects of life as Christians. Expectations of students:
- Use good manners and polite speech. The use of profanity or other offensive language will result in automatic suspension. Repeated use will result in permanent dismissal from the school.
- Treat all students and teachers with respect. Belittling or making fun of others will not be tolerated.
- Be honest and truthful in all dealings.
- Accept corrections respectfully.
- Display a good and positive attitude.
- Maintain a minimum of 2.0 (C-) academic grade point average.
- Adhere to the standards in For the Strength of Youth, published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Living these standards is expected at all times, both in and out of class.
- All families new to AHS Online are required to have a family interview with an administrator. Both parents (or legal guardians) and those children desiring to attend must attend this interview.
- Returning families who are enrolling a new student are required to have an admission interview with the new student, one parent, and an administrator.
- Official transcripts are required for all new students applying for admission to grades 10–12.
- An academic assessment is required for every student. The assessment fee is $45 per student for an evaluation in reading, spelling, and writing. The fee also includes a written summary of results.
In keeping with principles of unity, modesty, and academic focus, students must dress modestly according to the guidelines in For the Strength of Youth. Parents agree to provide clothing that conforms with these standards. It is the responsibility of the parents to understand the standards and monitor their children’s compliance.